From:
Beth Krakower <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:02:10 -0400
I have asked and received permission from the list moderator to post
an occasional press release to the group.  And I am subscribed to the
group....I'm not a "hit and run" artist ... I DO want to see what people
have to say about my projects.

Thanks!  And if anyone wants to converse with me privately, please do so!

   Elvis Costello Meets Anne Sofie von Otter on the Remarkable New
   Collaborative Album For The Stars

   CD Release Set For April 10, 2001 From Deutsche Grammophon

   (New York, NY, April 2, 2001) - Elvis Costello -- one of the most
   prolific and diverse artists of our time - has joined forces with
   the incomparable singer Anne Sofie von Otter for a collaborative new
   album entitled For The Stars.  A remarkable collection of contemporary
   songs arranged and produced by Costello, the record is a daring
   departure for von Otter, who has been hailed as one of the finest
   mezzo-sopranos in the U.S.  and Europe.  For the Stars will be released
   on April 10, 2001 on the historic Deutsche Grammophon label.

   Costello and von Otter are a match made in heaven.  Theirs is a
   musical love affair destined to entrance legions of new admirers for
   von Otter, while dazzling loyal Costello fans alike.  The pairing
   evolved over a series of events that started when Costello attended
   several of von Otter's concerts with his wife.  Spellbound by her
   singing, he began sending flowers backstage anonymously after each
   performance.  von Otter finally asked her manager to locate who was
   sending the bouquets, and was surprised to discover it was none other
   than Costello himself.  Despite their viscerally different backgrounds,
   they soon decided to work together.  Costello wrote a collection of
   songs for von Otter and The Brodsky Quartet (for whom Costello had
   earlier composed The Juliet Letters) in 1996 entitled Three Distracted
   Women, which later culminated in a concert tour.  Costello has since
   called von Otter one of his favorite singers, and included her 1996
   album Wings in the Night in his list of 500 favorite albums, published
   in Vanity Fair's Music Issue in November 2000.

   For The Stars was recorded in Stockholm at the famous Atlantis Studio
   -- home to ABBA among others.  Having recorded 27 songs in two weeks,
   the creative juices flowed in abundance.  von Otter has recorded
   songs by legendary artists including The Beach Boys, ABBA, Tom Waits
   and Elvis Costello of course.  In addition to arranging and producing
   For the Stars, Costello can also be heard singing and playing various
   instruments on several tracks.  Magical moments of the recording
   process were filmed resulting in a documentary also entitled "For
   The Stars." Both artists were captured on tape performing as well as
   speaking about the evolution of the project, which is clearly a labor
   of love for them both.

   Anne Sofie von Otter was born in Stockholm and studied at the Guildhall
   School of Music and Drama in London.  Since the mid-1980's she has
   performed at many of the world's greatest opera houses including the
   Metropolitan Opera In New York, the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden),
   La Scala Milan and the Deutsche Opera Berlin.  Having toured the
   world over, she has made a name for herself singing a broad range of
   repertoire encompassing works from the Baroque period to 20th century
   music.  She began recording for Deutsche Grammophon in 1985 - her
   most recent recordings include the stunning holiday album, Home For
   Christmas, and the critically acclaimed disc, Folksongs.

   For more information on this release, please visit www.forthestars.net
   or www.iclassics.com

Beth Krakower
CineMedia Promotions