From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:21:35 -0500
Juozas Rimas wrote:

>Chopin is a Great Composer for piano.

No argument here.

>Chopin's tragedy was he wrote only for piano. You see, if a composer
>couldn't write big orchestra works, he shouldn't be considered serious.
>What a lame thing: a composer who hasn't written a piece for violin, oboe,
>orchestra and castanets!  Oh my, he tried and he failed, haha.  People who
>claim to be serious connoisseurs are fond of castigating Chopin.

Maybe you've been hanging out with the wrong crowd.  Chopin is regarded by
most of the writers I read as one of the best and most original composers
of the Romantic period.  He no doubt felt he said all he needed to say at
the keyboard.  Some of his harmonic innovations are downright visionary.

Chris Bonds