From:
Felix Delbrueck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:26:49 +1200
Thanks to Steve Schwartz for his recommendations:

>Hindemith or Klemperer?  Hindemith's recordings seem workmanlike, like many
>of Stravinsky's.  However, there's little revelation in both.

That was a CD containing the Brahms Haydn Variations performed by
different conductors, and Hindemith was the last one on the disc.  I had
already heard Furtwangler (fantastic), Toscanini and Klemperer (OK) and
by the time I got to H.  I was sick of the piece and still had Furtwangler
in my ears, so he didn't really have a chance.  Are you talking about his
recordings of his own compositions? I would have expected at least the
basic concept they convey to be illuminating - but that's the old question
of the value of composers' interpretations.  If I'm not mistaken,
Stravinsky was a conducting amateur who could barely beat time, but H.
was pretty proficient and wasn't he also a successful violist?

Felix Delbruck