From:
Rodney Corkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 07:01:15 -0500
Rodney Corkin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>>I'd like some opinions regarding period instrument performace of Classical
>>period music, especially Beethoven.   ...

>Well, no. Try Schnabel and Furtwaengler instead....:-)

I suggest Paul Badura-Skoda's recordings of the complete piano sonatas on
period instruments, and the Hanover Band for the symphonies and overtures.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Firstly I think you're going to have to say exactly what you mean by
>"nuances".  If you're referring to aural textures as the composer
>would have heard them then I am broadly in agreement with you.

This is what I was refering to.

>But there is more to it than that.  I own most of the HIP Beethoven
>symphony recordings ...  and many of them are very good, I'd humbly
>submit that (with the honorable exceptions of Bru"ggen's Eroica and Choral)
>none of them can hold a candle to the finest performances of the past.

I've heard all the above and as I've said its Goodman/Huggett and the
Hanover Band that I prefer.  The sound captured on these recordings is the
most beautiful I have heard.  I cannot listen to my old Karajan, Bohm etc
recordings eny more, they just don't have the colour and electricity for
me.

Rod