From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:33:01 -0700
Barrett writes:

>My greatest dream in life is to one day drive down the road with two
>hulking sub-woofers blaring proudly the majestic and triumphant "Ode
>to Joy" theme,from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, or perhaps Tchaikovsky's
>1812 Overture.

Do it!  Actually, I'm not usually self-conscious listening to CM in the
car, esp.  in a university town, it's just that "I want to be a Prima
Donna" was an unusually florid piece; and my radio was turned up.

>...what would be your favorite tunes to play at the top notch of your
>car stereo?

Being that my car is kinda loud, (a Jeep), unfortunately the more contrast
in a work the faster I get a headache.  Whatever's constantly loud or
constantly soft works for me.

>Personally, one of my greatest pet peeves in life is being on the road
>when some bandana-clad, gold-toothed teenybopper drives by, cranking his
>meaningless musical swill at 47,000 decibels (although being 19 myself,
>I guess I'm technically a "teenybopper" too).

The drums and bugles that used to precede armies transformed into
thumping woofers to precede the modern-day rebel?  I think it's
window-dressing to inspire some awe, no different than installing shoulder
pads in military uniforms to make your army look bigger and stronger.
I don't know if such "swill" is listened to, as much as it is "worn" as
a credo.

John Smyth