From:
"Norman M. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:15:25 -0500
Zeev Raphael writes:

>Is it surprising if one reaches the conclusion that the subject of boycott
>of German things is very much related to German Marks? Is the suspicion
>unfounded, that were Herr Richard Wagner to appear in person on these Holy
>Shores, equipped with a suitable cheque made out to the Israeli Opera,
>there would be no more objection to showing Tannhauser on our Israeli TV -
>in full colour!
>
>I would be very pleased to have your comments!

So, I will give you MY comment.  I believe that those who oppose the
playing of Wagner on those "Holy Shores" while holocaust survivors are
still amongst us will find this last statement even more loathsome than
is listening to the music in question.  I don't have a problem listening
to Wagner's music, however I do admit to some difficulties listening to
Herbert van Karajan leading whilst the choir sings "Alle Menschen werden,
(Wo dein sanfter Flugel weilt)".

Norman Schwartz