From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 03:00:56 +0000
Franz Haydn
Piano Sonata No. 46 in E major, Hob. XVI: 31
Franz Schubert
Piano Sonata in D major, D850
Johannes Brahms
Variations and Fugue on a theme of Handel, Op. 24

Bernard Roberts, piano
Recorded August 29, 2003,
Third Chetham's Festival Festival for Pianists
Dunelm Records DRD0212 [79:56]

Pianist: Bernard Roberts has recorded often for the Nimbus label including
the complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas and the Bach Partitas and Well
Tempered Clavier.

Studio Recordings vs.  Dunelm Recital: In his studio recordings, Roberts
tends to be tasteful and light with a penchant for legato phrasing.  The
recital disc gives us a different Roberts - much more adventurous and
incisive with sharp contours.

Schubert Performance: Aggressive and impetuous; quite surprising.  Roberts
doesn't pay much attention to Schubert's singing lines and is about the
opposite of Wilhelm Kempff on DG.

Haydn Performance: Excellent, capturing all the sparkle, aristocracy,
wit, and energy of the music.

Brahms Performance: Perhaps the best version on record.  I compared it
to the Fleischer on Sony that is one of my favorites, and Roberts wins
my heart.  His Fugue is sensational in terms of conveying the coherence
so often lacking in other recorded versions.

Sound Quality: Good detail and depth, but there is some congestion in
the loudest passages.

Don's Recommendation: Essential for the Brahms, but Schubert fans will
likely miss the reduced lyricism.  Roberts enthusiasts will surely be
surprised at his verve.

Don Satz