From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:42:13 PST
Bob Draper wrote of the Haydn String Quartets:

>At one time the Tatrai's was the set to get.  But, now it's a bit
>dated.

I still love the Tatrai's recordings of Haydn.  I feel emotionally closest
to Haydn through the Tatrai than any other string quartet ensemble, but I
have no idea why.  I certainly prefer the sound of period instruments, but
the Tatrai have a warmth without the syrup which gets me every time.

Do you ever feel that the artist you're listening to is in some manner the
reincarnation of the composer and that the circle is completed? That's how
it is with the Tatrai and me, and it's a great feeling.

Don Satz