From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:01:05 -0500
David Cozy wrote:

>So, in the estimate of Solomon's critics, is his biography bad *because*
>it's psychological, or is it a bad psychological biography?

As far as I'm concerned, Solomon's biographies of Beethoven and Mozart are
bad because they are extremely speculative.  And to answer your question:
bad psychological biography.  A biography is not just a list of dates and
facts; there is also interpretation involved, and it's legitimate to search
for psychological motives behind the hero's actions.  But one has to be
honest about the available evidence.  One should also be explicit about
what is historical evidence and what is speculation (something that Solomon
never does).

-Margaret