From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:05:08 +0000
Roger Hecht writes:

>I'm interested in reading opinions of Werner Jacob's recordings of
>Bach organ works--as a set, not in terms of individual performances.

I find the set largely a 'hit or miss' affair.  Often, Jacob is
rather stodgy with his slow tempos and rounded contours.  But sometimes
he displays enhanced vitality and delivers absolutely transcendent
interpretations.  Overall, his playing has a 'sweet' quality to it that
will appeal to some more than others.

I think the set sells for a little over $100 for the 16 discs.  That's
a big price tag, although it comes out to less than $10 per disc.  The
Lionel Rogg set on Harmonia Mundi, less complete than the Jacob, only
costs about $50 and is much more rewarding to me.  Unfortunately, the
Rogg doesn't seem to be in print currently - I'm confident it will
re-emerge soon.  My next favorite set would be the Herrick on Hyperion
that costs almost $200 - a price one could gag on.

Don Satz