From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 17:30:52 +0100
Phil Stevens:

>I'll be in Paris for a few days early in April.

Wll I raided the second hand market of Paris in November.  I dont think
that there is much use to go there for Cd's any more 8^)

>Could listers give me recommendations for stores selling classical CDs,
>including second-hand stores, if any.

I dont know if I'm alowed to let You in on the secret stuff, and this is
really Thanh-Tam Le's turf, he was the one who guided me to the right
surces (Thanks again TT), the two that I did my best findings in were:

   la chumiere a musique
   5, rue de Vaugard
   750006 Paris
   Phone: 01 43 54 07 25
   Metro: Odeon
   (open from 10 on weekdays and 12 on weekends if I remember corectly)

and

   Jussieu Music/Classique
   16, Rue Linne
   75005 Paris
   Phone: 01 47 07 60 45
   (open from 11 weekdays and 2 on weekends, IRC)

Both have very good stock.

>I understand the FNAC chain is quite good; are there
>particular branches with a better stock than others?

No particular stock diffrences what I could see, but very well stocked
(as are the branches of Virgin MS) - Mind You, FNAC is one of the more
expencive CD outlets I've vissited.

>Is there a store in or near the Centre Pompidou?

Dont know, but as Paris is quite easy to get around by Bus/Metro I dont
think that You should limit Your search.

>Is there a store specializing in contemporary French composers?

I dont know if I asked Thanh-Tam about that, but 'la chaumiere' had
a decent amount of contemporary stuff.  But if You want some of the
avantgarde French things You should check; www.ina.fr Which is one of the
organisations for contemporary music in France.  I think that Boulez 'la
ciete de la musique' has a shop in junction with their concert hall IIRC
(They are also on the web).  I'm sure that Thanh-Tam and our other French
friens well add and correct me were I'm wrong!

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)