From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:46:38 EDT
A very different Schwartz writes:

>By those standards, no classical music composer is great.  The man in the
>street would rather suck exhaust fumes from the tailpipe of a bus (only
>slightly overstating here) than listen to classical music.

Nonsense.  Just think about the music we have sent into outer-space to
be appreciated by extra-terrestrials!  I feel all Great composers were
inspired to write knowing their creations could and WOULD be appreciated
by ANYONE willing to listen.  (On a very pessimistic note, if a composer's
livelihood were dependent upon his/her's musics acceptance, their
compositions would of necessity have to achieve wide appreciation.) This
includes both popular and classical composers, and even the birds sitting
in trees whistling their pretty tunes!  Don't under estimate man's
sensitivity!

Norman