From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 00:33:18 -0500
Michael Cooper on emotion in Thcaikovsky:

>And, in fact, I can point out several musical devices which aid in
>expressing different things.  "Dark" tone colorings, the slow tempo, the
>minor key, suspensions (particularly those involving a minor second), all
>contribute to the emotions expressed.  A scientific explanation as to the
>relationship between the devices Tchaikovsky used and the emotions we
>"hear" in this work is beyond me.  But the relationship is there
>nonetheless.

I don't know of any scientific explanation either, but I believe that there
is a solid neurological and biological basis for the expression of emotion
in music as well as in other spheres of human activity and expression.  In
fact why should music be exempt from what is otherwise a major part of our
lives and is such a pervasive elemnet of language and literature that it
really cannot be separated out? It makes no sense.  Expression of emotion
tends to be treated as an embarrassing side issue in some analytical
circles.

Bernard Chasan