From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:22:00 -0400
Bill Boletta writes of Cage sayong:

>It went something like this: "Music is everywhere.  Musicians, composers,
>and audiences limit it to the concert hall settings, but if you really
>want to hear some music, try this.  The next time you are in line at the
>supermarket, just listen.  The voices you hear, the cash register ringing,
>the clatter of the shopping baskets: this is music."

To me this is noise.  This is not a value judgment, it is a protest at
the devaluation of a word by using it to mean something there is already
a perfectly fine word for -- the word for the all encompassing definition
of music that Cage is implying is "sound".  Even "found art" was at least
delineated by a frame or a plinth; to say that everything around is art may
be terribly Zen, but it's also uselessly indiscriminate.

len.