From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:37:54 -0500
D.  Stephen Heersink writes of the common remark about a Naxos recording
that it's "good for the price":

>...it is almost universally used leaving this reader uncertain whether the
>recording merits a place in my library or whether this is junk, but good
>junk for the price

Might I use an analogy? It is sometimes the case that an inexpensive
bottle of wine is indeed superior to a far more expensive (e.g., "big
name") bottle, but it is at least as often the case that the cheaper bottle
is, in one way or another, inferior to the (often much) more expensive
bottle.  Does this make the less expensive bottle undrinkable "junk"? No,
of course not, and in my experience, the difference in quality between $6
and $18 Chardonnays is rather greater than the difference between a $6
Naxos issue and an $18 full price issue.

len.