From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:42:30 -0500
According to John Woollard's orchestras page, today and tomorrow, the
Vienna Symphony Orchestra under Ulf Schirmer will be performing the Wellesz
symphony no. 9 (for what I can't imagine could be more than the second or
third time ever? Does anyone know?,) a work from 1970-1 (some say 1972) in
three movements-

I - Andante moderato
II - Allegretto grazioso
III - Adagio

and quite a good piece.  Not tonal (unlike his first four symphonies,)
but quite clear and expressive.  I hope they're arranging to have this,
the Viotti-conducted 3rd symphony premiere of earlier this year, and any
possible future Wellesz performances recorded for (may I hope?) recording,
since none of this (very fine!) composer's symphonies have been made
generally available on recording (though other works, thankfully, have,
albeit not in profusion.  A Desto LP of the stunning- in my honest opinion-
solo cello sonata comes to mind.)

-Eric Schissel (With acknowledgements to some friends in the preparation of
the information in this email.  I have no connection of any sort, financial
least of all:), with the Vienna Symphony.)