From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:34:41 PDT
Bob Draper wrote:

>That said, I think we all have our own hierarchy of genre.  For me the
>highest forms are the symphony and the quartet.  Opera comes somewhat
>lower down the scale in my view.

In my set of preferences, solo instrumental works, chamber works,
concerti, and vocal works with orchestra (songs, sacred, opera) stand tall.
Symphonies and other pure orchestral works are a little behind.  Lieder,
madrigals, band music, and choral without orchestra take up the rear, well
behind the other genres.

Don Satz