From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:15:51 PDT
Chris Bonds wrote:

>One of my professors said that maybe had Mozart lived another 20
>years there "would have been no need for Beethoven."
>
>We'll never know, will we?

Thee's an old saying that the only sure things in life are death and taxes.
I'd add a personal third consideration - I would be the loser if Beethoven
had never existed, regardless of Mozart's life span.

Mozart was not a "baby" Beethoven.  Each was highly distinct from one
another.  Either that professor doesn't have much on the ball, or he was
just trying to stimulate the brains of his students.  I'll give him the
benefiit of the doubt and assume the latter.

Don Satz