From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:49:13 -0500
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Many years ago, a friend heard and was very taken with the 3rd symphony of
>Felix Draeseke (1835-1913) and during the intervening period, occasionally
>wished he could hear it again.  I notice that his first symphony and piano
>concerto have been released by Dabringhaus und Grimm, which sounds more
>like a firm of consultant archaeologists than a record company.  These are
>played by the Wuppertal Symphony which is hardly a world- renowned outfit,
>but we've got used to good performances from lesser-known orchestras.
>Perhaps Denis or another lister who lives in Germany knows a little more
>about the music or the orchestra or both?

Well, I do not live in Germany, but maybe I can give two hints...

First, Musik Dabringhaus und Grimm is quite well-known here as MDG.  Does
it ring a bell?:-) They have released quite a few beautiful CDs.  From the
same period and country as Draeseke, you can listen to their recording of
Felix Woyrsch's 1st Symphony by the Hamburg Symphony Orchestra conducted by
Miguel A.  Gomez-Martinez (CD MDG 329 0588-2) -- a relatively traditional
work, typically North German, and a very genial and fine piece.

It so happens that I heard the beginning of Draeseke's 1st a few hours
ago.  Unfortunately, I had to leave after 10 minutes, but it did remind
me of the 3rd.  This is intriguing music indeed, clearly rooted in the
German Romantic tradition, with hints of Wagner, but clearly he was heading
towards original, even strange directions, following his own logic and
rhetoric.  It takes, as it were, new paths which few composers have cared
to tread after him, so that he was original but not "prophetic".  There is
something neoclassical in his idiom, and it is not surprising that he later
opposed Richard Strauss whose music he found too lush and confused.  Maybe
his style has some remote connections with, say, Reznicek's (beautiful) 3rd
symphony in f minor, composed in 1919.

I remember being taken by Draeseke's 3rd when I first heard it 15 years
ago.  It really surprised me with its unexpected turns, and captivating
sense of inner certainty.  Later I listened to it in a radio broadcast and
found it almost academic.  I tend to believe that both impressions were
well-founded -- to some extent.

Possibly the 1st is not as individual as the 3rd, so you should not expect
a completely satisfactory piece (perhaps even the 3rd is not), but one
which is nevertheless well worth investigating IMHO.  It reminds me of
many composers, but finally does not sound like anything else.

I hope it helps,

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le