From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:24:06 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Is my recording faulty?  Should I get my hearing checked

There is no doubt that normal hearing varies among people and that
factors in on the kind of sound people go for.  As hearing deteriorates
over time, how one listens to classical music will change, though many
will not realize they are making their decisions based on faulty hearing.
Having said that, I realized you were joking since it would be more than
the Mass in B minor that would be the problem if it were due to your
hearing.

>I saw on TV an interview with Stephen Gould, the paleontologist who
>passed away not long ago, and was an atheist I recall, said he thought
>the Mass in B minor was the greatest piece of music ever written.

Gould knew a lot more about paleontology than music.

Of course. But I think he said it as an expression of his personal opinion,
not the gospel truth--pun intended.

Glenn Miller