From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:37:05 -0800
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Chris Bonds wrote:
>
>>How do people feel about observing the minuet repeats in the da
>>capo, which the HIPsters are doing now?
>
>I actually like it.  The only time I have a problem with it is when the
>music is played so damn slow with the repeats (Haydn can suffer from
>this), or when the repeats are taken despite the great length of the
>movement (Norrington's take on Schubert's Ninth Symphony).

Any composer will suffer from his music being played to slowly.  This
has nothing to do with observing repeats, but, rather, observing tempo
markings.  I attended a performance of Schubert's 9th with Norrington
guest-conducting the LA Phil a couple of years ago.  He did observe all
the repeats, and it was marvellous.  The composer's judgement is to be
trusted more than that of any performer who would play contrary to those
instructions.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series