From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:38:34 -0800
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>I know that PBS relies heavily on corporate sponsorship, but jeez, one
>announcement would be enough. Our classical radio station in Dallas is
>commercial, so we are accustomed to adverts, but I wonder if the same
>thing is happening on NPR classical stations.>

The frequency and perhaps length of "under-writing" sponsorship
announcements does seem to be increasing.  But a much more striking change
in the last half dozen years or so is the *number* of NPR stations which
have simply thrown out recorded classical music (or in some cases all kinds
of music) altogether.  Has anyone kept track of this trend?  My impression
is that it must apply to a clear majority of the NPR stations which used to
broadcast CM.

Why?  I would guess that the pressure to increase audience size (hence
switching from CM to jabber) is related to the pursuit of sponsorship $$$.
If this view is correct, it means that the abandonment of CM broadcasting
is a direct consequence of the commercialization of NPR.  Does anyone know
of any hard evidence for this (or any other) explanation of the trend?

On another subject entirely, let me express my gratitude to our peerless
leader, Dave Lampson, and wish him the best in his new daytime job.

Cheers//---Jon Gallant and Dr. Phage  ([log in to unmask])