From:
Edward Janusz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:13:28 -0500
I went to an unusual concert last night: the complete string quartets
of Elliott Carter (5 of them), performed by the Pacifica Quartet.
This was three hours, with two brief intermissions.

I didn't enjoy the music; neither did I dislike it.  It didn't all sound
the same, but it _felt_ the same.  I keep wanting to use words like
"angst," "anger," "alienation." Yet I don't think these are the right
ones.  I didn't feel angry or alienated when I left. I'm not sure that
I really felt _anything_.

 From the program notes to #2:

   "In it the four instruments are individualized, each being
   given its own character embodied in a special set of melodic
   and harmonic intervals and of rhythms that result in four
   different patterns of slow and fast tempi with associated
   types of expression.  Thus, four different strands of musical
   material of contrasting character are developed simultaneously
   throughout the work.  It is out of the intereactions,
   combinations, cooperations, and oppositions of these that the
   details of musical discourse as well as the large sections
   are built."

Well, okay, I'm down with that.  But halfway through this concert, I
went on autopilot.  24 hours later, I've got some visual and intellectual
impressions, but none of the music is bouncing around in my brain.

I was favorably disposed toward the musicians.  Two of them came out for
the pre-concert talk (which brought the evening out to four hours!), and
were obviously aware, cognitive, and totally committed to what they were
doing.  During what must have been a marathon for them, all four kept
their composure and considerable stage presence, and didn't seem the
slightest bit discouraged to be playing for 80 people, probably half of
whom became invisible as the night went on.

I guess what I want from this List is some contrasting opinions.
(Of course, being affirmed that I really am a good person would be OK,
too <grin>.) Have Listers listened to these string quartets and gotten
something out of them?  Is the formal exercise -- the setting up of
interesting technical challenges -- what's "there?" Have you picked
up on a resonance behind the veils of this unfamiliar soundscape?

Eddie