From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:27:16 +1200
I have lately acquired a variety of HIP recordings:

1. The Bilson/Gardiner Mozart Piano Concerti
2. Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto & Violin Concerto [Immerseel/ Weil
     &Beths/Weil]
3. Beethoven Piano Sonatas 11, 13, 14, 19 & 20 [Melvin Tan]
4. Schubert Piano Sonatas D959 & D960 [Melvin Tan]
5. Early Romantic Overtures [Norrington]

Previously I tended to acquire HIP recordings for Bach, Handel & their more
or less contemporaries & predecessors.

Having gone to all this trouble & expense, I have had little difficulty
persuading myself that the effort & cost of time & materials was indeed
worthwhile to an extraordinary degree.

Naturally I will remain loyal to the ponderous Beethovenian, Mozartean
or Schubertian insights of Klemperer, Karajan, Toscanini, Kleiber,
Furtwangler, Walter, Reiner, Szell, Kempf, Backhaus, Schnabel, Brendel,
Barenboim, Ashkenazy, Anda, Perahia & so on and so forth, but I will now
also be on the lookout for further HIP alternative recordings since
"variety is the spice of life".

And now its back to the forest with me to study all manner of birds, flying
insects, foliage and creepy crawlies.

Geoffrey Gaskell