From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:25:24 +0000
Joel Hill writes:

>I realized that I didn't have a CD copy of Davidsbundlertanze, and
>promptly went to Borders to use my 20% coupon.  Still have one in
>reserve.

I've got a bunch of those coupons in my car, but I always forget to bring
one with me when I enter hallowed Borders territory.  By now, the coupons
have likely expired.

>I ended up with the Pollini since it had the Concert without Orchestra
>which I didn't have.

It seems that the Concert without Orchestra is often referred to as
Schumann's third piano sonata although it was written before the Opus 22
Sonata.  Most impressive about this Pollini disc is the recorded sound -
wonderful.

>What's the deal with there being more than one version of the David....?

The differences are so minor that I didn't even mention them in my review.

>Now, let's get back to the Brahms Handel Variations - one of my favorite
>works.

Right, I'll go with those sentiments.  Presently, I'm about 1/3 done with
Part 2 which includes versions from R.Serkin and Arrau, both on the Aura
label, and Richter's version on Doremi.  Fleischer and Moiseiwitsch will
likely be in Part 3.  Just on a preliminary basis, Fleischer has sounded
very good, but Moiseiwitsch might blow him away in my affections.  Has
Moiseiwitsch ever recorded any Bach? I would think that he and Bach would
make a great match.

Don Satz