From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:39:19 -0500
Geoffrey Gaskell replies to Jeff Dunn

>>Now let's put the shoe on the other foot of the "good-old-days" music
>>lovers, and ask them for 10 19th-century compositions since Tristan (1859)
>>that are as significant, well constructed and original as said same.

>Satie Three Gymnopedies
>Faure Requiem
>Richard Strauss Death and Transfiguration, Thus Spake Zarathustra,
>Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks, Don Quixote, Don Juan, A Hero's Life...

Of course, it's a matter if personal taste, but I don't think Satie's
Gymnopedies are of the same scale or significance as Tristan.  Also, I
don't consider Faure's Requiem to be particularly earth shattering, and
I'm not a great fan of most of the Strauss tone poems (excepting Till
Eulenspiegel and Don Juan).

Here are my suggestions:

Brahms:  Symphonies, 2nd Piano Concerto, late piano music, Haydn
Variations.  Granted, his late piano works are miniatures, but they're
just as deep and harmonically challenging as Tristan.  What about the
German Requiem? Was it composed after 1859?

Berlioz: Les Troyens

Tchaikovsky Symphonies 4, 5, 6

Dvorak Symphonies 7, 8, 9

Bruckner Symphonies 7, 8(!), 9