From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 07:52:01 EST
Jocelyn Wang writes:

>A performance that does not observe all repeats as intended by the
>composer cannot possibly be superb because it is patently contrary to
>what the composer has made clear the piece should be.

Given the fact that repeats indicate a certain lapse in the creative
process or just plain laziness on part of the composer, I see no problem
in editing repeats from certain performances.  Perceived "purity" of
performance seems unnecessarily precise when differences in instrumental
style may simply overwhelm whatever the composer MAY have "intended" in
the first place.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA