From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:35:36 +0000
John Smyth writes:

>With few exceptions - - the Arnold Symphonies, Barber's Organ Toccata,
>VW's "Poisoned Kiss" - - the rapturous discoveries become fewer and
>farther behind.

I don't share the above view.  Once a month, I drive from Albuquerque
to Santa Fe to check out the inventory at a fine store there that carries
greater diversity than the Albuquerque stores.  I just drove up and back
this morning - had fifteen relatively obscure recordings in my hands
before I cut it down to three.

Steve Schwartz would also likely love this store and could easily carry
around 15 discs on his own.  *And* they would be entirely different from
the 15 I wanted (Steve and I have different tastes).

Anyways, the three I bought are the d'Indy String Quartets on Calliope,
Jongen piano works on Pavane, and Bruhns organ music on Winter & Winter.
Hated to set aside the new Pletnev disc of Schumann piano music and a
BIS disc of Nielsen Violin Sonatas, but there's always tomorrow or next
month.  I haven't come close to hitting the envelope, and I don't see
how John could be banging against it either.

Don Satz