From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:39:13 -0500
Edie said she...

>...tried to watch that program but turned it off.  I really dislike it
>when something is hyped as a music program, and instead people come out
>and TALK unendingly.  They were boring,

'Though I didn't see the whole program, I can't go along with you,
with minor qualifications.  The attention given to the architecture was
actually restrained, I thought, considering Gehry's building: I was able
to make out some piano-like, fluid contours, as well as spiky motifs
that graced the place with something very like a musical feel.  I was
almost as pleased that Jodie Foster hosted; she's one of Los Angeles'
brighter talents, to me: young and appealing (a lot prettier than, say,
Public Broadcasting's Russell Baker!), and apparently genuinely interested.
'Can't fault that.

Williams' claim that he'd composed to use the building as a sort of
instrument sounded to me like a lot of hooey (Sp?): not really borne out
in the performance, that I could see.  But you and I too...

>...did enjoy the "Rite of Spring".

Certainly any musical imperfections for being live were minor indeed,
and the camera-work generally illustrated just who in the orchestra was
doing what, or was about to.  Salonen's passion for the Stravinsky was
worth beholding, and his succinct comments about the composer's radical
use of the orchestra, his new ways of phrasing, and how to 'do' music,
etc., were all well said, esp considering that he was granted ...what,
a minute or two?

>I suppose we should be glad to have any music PBS is willing
>to give us these days.

Absolutely.  Few others do so for free, so why not...

So I count several reasons above why it was fine CM TV-watching.  But,
unless they were covering some awful gaffes (which I doubt), I'd have
to say that broadcasting just a closing minute or two of Yo-Yo Ma playing
Lutoslawski's Cello Concerto is just downright stupid.

Bert Bailey, in Ontario