From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:32:15 -0500
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>Would someone tell me about this work, please.  How long is it? What are
>some good recordings? Is it scored for full orchestra? What does it sound
>like? If it is on a cd with other pieces, what are they?

I can't tell you much about it.  Not near my CDs, I don't know how long
it is.  Holst wrote it as a tribute to Hardy.  Holst admired Tess of the
d'Urbervilles immensely.  I believe he started it before Hardy's death and
finished it after.  Definitely one of Holst's best.  It's scored for large
orchestra.  It broods.  Boult made a good recording, no longer available.
Your current choice seems to be between Andrew Davis and Andre Previn.  I
haven't heard the Davis, but I'd go with the Previn, particularly since
it's coupled with Boult's best recording of The Planets (the
second-to-last, on EMI).

Steve Schwartz