From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:52:39 PDT
Johan van Veen wrote:

>It seems to me that the aversion against dogmas and against the idea
>something *must* is very modern and typical for the last decade of
>our century.

In the U.S, I think that the aversion goes back to the formation of the
country, although there was a strong acceleration starting in the late
1960's.  The pioneer and individual spirit is relatively strong here, and
possesses an extensive history.

>I can't see what is wrong with dogmas in itself.

I think there are many negatives concerning dogmas.  Those in control and
strongly supportive of dogmas do not want any criticism or analysis of the
dogmas they hold dear.  This attitude stifles the free exchange of ideas,
individual creativity, and the enlightened progression of a nation.  Much
of this has to do with how we define a dogma.  If it's just a principle or
belief that people are willing to discuss, revise, and even discard, then
I see no problem with it.  But, dogmas tend to be considered "sacred", and
that's when the trouble begins.  In music, dogmas of this type are clearly
bad for composers, peformers, and listeners.

Don Satz