From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:06:57 -0700
Richard Pennycuick ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I think classical music can take just about any treatment and survive.
>When I was very young, I used to listen to a radio serial called The
>Search for the Golden Boomerang (this is Australia, remember), whose
>theme came from The Nutcracker.

Oh my God! The Magic Boomerang! There was also a tv series, which was
imported into the UK in the 1960s.

Think they'd dropped Pyotr Ilyich by then though.

Karl Miller ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>In a slightly different context...William Tell Overture and the Lone
>Ranger...I am reminded of a freshman composition student I once had. We
>were discussing different forms and I suggested he listen to Also Sprach.
>He replied, "why would I want to listen to that, it is only about two
>minutes long." He had heard it on numerous commercials.

it was said that a cultured person was one who could hear the gallop
from the WTO without thinking of the Lone Ranger. In the late 60s it
became someone who could hear the opening of Also sprach without thinking
of space flight (the BBC also used it for their coverage of thd Apollo
missions).

Elihu L. Sussman ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>In more modern times Stravinsky kept revising some of his scores so
>they wouldn't go into the public domain and he could maintain income
>if my recollection is correct.

Almost correct. They wouldn't go into PD while he was alive, but the US
was not sigantory to the Berne Copyright Convention and so he revised
the scores in the late 1940s to gain US copyright.

This from memory and open to further correction...

Deryk Barker