From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:51:40 PDT
I recently acquired a 2-cd set on DG Originals of Firkusny performing
Janacek's piano works.  I've had for a few years a cd on Ottavo of Jet
Roling performing Janacek's solo piano works including On the Overgrown
Path which is a work I love.  I found Roling's performance excellent -
very poetic and with little piano banging, and expected Firkusny to be
even better.

So far, I've listened to Firkusny's Overgrown Path a few times.
Surprisingly, I favor Roling by a wide margin.  He's more poetic and
nostalgic than Firkusny; also, Firkusny, too much for my taste, does much
piano banging which reminds me of the typical romantic approach to piano
works.

Since Firkusny is often cited as the supreme interpreter of Janacek's piano
music, is there something I'm missing so far? It's either that or Roling is
really superb and on my wavelength.

Don Satz