From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:49:33 -0600 following senders discarded.
Richard Todd:

>For those who are concerned with the historical distortions in Amadeus,
>look at it this way: The story is being told by a decrepit and mad
>Salieri.

I could care about historical inaccuracies in a play.  Richard III isn't
all that accurate.  I was merely responding to the assertion that Shaffer
was an 18th-century "scholar."

On the other hand, is there any reason for this play to be about Mozart
and Salieri at all? If not, why is it about Mozart and Salieri? Does it
give you anything else? According to me, no -- not in language, not in
ideas.  According to others, yes.

Steve Schwartz