From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:44:10 +0000
Virginia Knight asks:

>Who's Hurlstone?

William Hurlstone likely would have been the successor to Elgar, but he
died at 30 years of age.  I thought everyone on the List would be familiar
with his life and music.

Actually, only kidding.  I never heard of him until I saw an ad in a
music magazine announcing a Dutton Epoch disc devoted to his chamber
music.  I love the Dutton programming of British composers and the very
attractive cover art, so I remembered his name.  So far, I haven't seen
the Dutton disc at the best local store in Albuquerque, and that surprises
me.  I've been able to buy at that store most of the Dutton British
composer releases.  If push comes to shove, I'll just buy it from Arkiv
music which had it in stock the last time I looked.

After reading Virginia's posting, I scrambled all over the Internet just
to find out his first name.  As it happens, I found a site that gave me
a sampling of a piano piece of his.  It was thoroughly tonal, but perhaps
Hurlstone didn't live long enough to stray into the land of dissonance.

Let's get on the Hurlstone bandwagon and insure that he does get recognized
as the successor to Elgar, a mighty task that I can spend my retirement
years on.  My tombstone could then read - Disciple to the unknown composer
William Hurlstone.  Not to worry, because I intend to live to at least
2050.  Love-making and music will keep me going for sure.

Don Satz