From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:57:20 -0600
Dave Pitzer wrote:

>I can only submit that many others did not have the patience with Mr.
>Gould's singing that you did.  Whether that's good or bad....well I
>suspect that Mr. Gould's lack of wide-spread popularity can be attributed
>to two factors: 1) his inconsiderate and loud singing and 2) his very
>idiosyncratic interpretations.  A third, but lessor, factor was no doubt
>his refusal to play before audiences after a certain point in his career.
>All of this is unfortunate since he was an immense talent.

Lack of wide-spread popularity? Where do you all get some of your ideas?
It may interest you to know that there are two (count them) two records
in the Columbia Records (now Sony) catalogue that have never gone out of
print since their first release.  One is Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, which
was released in 1959.  The other is Glenn Gould's 1955 recording of the
Goldberg variations.  If that isn't widespread popularity, then please
tell me what is.

Kevin Sutton