From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:22:02 -0500
Wow!!!  And I thought Der Wintereise was grim!!!  But I am fascinated by
that dead birds in the air business- was gravity destroyed in the blast?
It is interesting that Krenek himself said that the Second Symphony was
about man struggling against the harsh, hostile natural environment.
Nowadays we think of the environment struggling against harsh, hostile
human activity!!!  The muted haunting slow movement from the Vaughn
Williams Sixth Symphony was interpreted in some quarters as a portrait
of the aftermath of nuclear war, but VW denied it

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University