From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 00:53:20 -0300
Steve Schwartz to Pablo Massa:

>>But I'm intrigued: why wouldn't be serious to think in a precise colour
>>at hearing (or mentioning) a Mahler's symphony?.  Would this "degrade" the
>>music?.  Would this be a symptom that I'm nuts?.  In that case let's state
>>this clearly: I'm *seriously* nuts.
>
>Serious or not seems beside the point.  Why think in a color at all?  Do so
>if that's the way your mind works.

I haven't been clear here, I'm afraid.  "Association" is a relatively
spontaneous reaction.  They may occur with colors or anything else.
I chose colors simply because that's the case I know better (my own
case), and I wanted to know if someone had a similar kind of reactions.
Associations with other elements are welcome too.  I'm interested mainly
in what do listers think about the causes that motivates them.

>Why not think in terms of a particular sport? The Sixth = soccer; The
>Eighth = baseball.

Everybody knows that Mahler's 8th = hockey.  You should see a psychiatrist.
:-)

>It's one's own mind, after all.  The question I have is why the
>arbitrariness of one mind should be seen as applicable to others.

I reformulate my question: "what are your own lists of arbitrary
associations (in case that you have it), and which do you think are their
causes?.

Pablo Massa