From:
Fred Fry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:16:54 EST
Chris Bonds said:

>This is the so-called Bach Bow, which was a 20th-century design intended
>to make it possible to play simultaneous 3 and 4-part chords on the violin.
>It has no historical significance...
>
>...  It has absolutely nothing to do with HIP practice, since
>there was no such bow in Bach's time.

I don't know the Arte Nova recording, but Sergiu Luca performed and
recorded the JSB Sonatas and Partitias for period violin and bow.  In the
notes (Nonesuch 9 73030-2) Mr.  Luca dismisses the Vega-Bach bow described
by Chris Bonds.  The bow he uses is curved outward slightly.  The notes and
photographs describe the bow (and violin) and its effects and uses, which
does not include the playing of sustained 3- and 4-note chords.  The notes
are quite interesting, but in the CD version, the text is very small - the
notes from the LP version would be easier to read.

I find the performances and recording very good.

Fred Fry