From:
Peter Name <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:33:34 -0400
Hi, colleagues:  Have any of you read the New York Times article of a week
ago on "Caruso 2000", new recordings where they isolate Caruso's voice
digitally then integrate it with full-range new orchestral backgrounds?

Some time ago, they issued a digitalized version of the old recordings
(without adding new orchestral sounds) on an LP using the Bitstream system.
I was able, by coincidence, to compare my original 78 of "Ah Si Ben Mio"
(1908) with that cleaned-up version.  It was quite an improvement --- in
terms of noise reduction, freedom from overload distortion on the peaks
and a more natural sounding vocal quality.

Can anyone suggest current CD digitalized reproductions which use more
advanced technology?

Thanks, Peter