From:
Jane Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:59:11 -0400
Nicholas J. Yasillo:

>With all due respect, I'd question Ms. Pierce's perceived ethnic
>stereotypes.  Great Britain (the source of more rock bands per square
>kilometer than anywhere but the U.S.) seems to be having problems just
>like everyone else supporting its symphony orchestras, while, in Japan,
>the demand for tickets to a touring Chicago Symphony Orchestra concert
>(always sold-out in Japan) may fetch ticket prices 4 to 5 times the
>(already very high) prices we pay in Chicago (where a 80% full house
>is a good night).

Thank you for your insights into the various cultures I mentioned in my
comment.  I guess I have seen the pop music/ r&r types of music depicted
in movies and TV.  I am glad to know that some still enjoy going to the
classical music performances anywhere.  I thought most European and other
nations had subsidies for their arts programs unlike the SO's of the
USA.

Thank you for clarifying me.

Jane