From:
Wes Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:16:17 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>They feel a need to diminish the world of HIP and go about the business of
>finding deficiences in the concept.

I used to hold a generally dim view of HIP, with some notable exceptions
such as Hogwoods' marvelous Mozart symphony cycle over a decade and a half
ago.

What turned the corner for me was Andreas Staiers recording of Dussek
piano sonatas on an english pianoforte - a restored 1805 Broadwood.  My
reaction was "holy cow" - the cascades of sound and drama fit Dusseks'
profile as I know it to a tee.  Nowadays, although I'm an inveterate grand
piano performance fan for all keyboard works, I've enjoyed such literature
as C.P.E.  Bach played on the clavichord (on B.I.S.), Mehul piano sonatas
on pianoforte and such.  This "mix" creates a lot of enjoyment for me and
provides a bigger picture of my great passion - keyboard literature.

Wes Thompson