From:
Matthew Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:04:23 +1000
Donald Satz wrote:

>The sound on Gieseking's WTC on DG and on Toscanini's Traviata on RCA
>ruined it for me.

Coincidently, I'm listening to the very same Traviata recording now.
Bought it this afternoon.  I'm interested to know what it is about it you
do not like Don? I have not listened to a lot of historical recordings as
yet so am intrigued as to your thoughts.  Personally I'm not finding it too
bad although this is the first time I have heard this recording and this
opera.  A little thin perhaps, particularly Albanese.  Our local opera
company is about to start performances of this in a few weeks and I am on
standby to play in the orchestra, thus my introduction to this opera.

Matthew Gillett