From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:17:17 -0600
Jocelyn asks:

>Does anyone-- anyone-- in his right mind, regardless of his view of atonal
>"music," actually believe that such an experience would have been enjoyed
>by a single one of those kids?
>
>Please.  Child abuse is rampant enough without subjecting them en masse to
>that.

Again, although I've heard other Birtwhistle, I haven't heard Gawain, so I
really don't know what the kiddies had to endure.  But I don't mind going
on record as "not in my right mind." Can you say for certain that no child
got anything from it or might not have been able to hold on to the story?

I have two nephews.  When they were 11 and 9, they were taken to a
performance of Wozzeck.  They loved it.  Hell, I don't even like Wozzeck.
I'm not saying they had taken in the music or had even understood the play,
but they *were*, their mother assures me, very interested in what they saw.
Was that a waste of their time and my sister's money?

Steve Schwartz