From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:09:26 -0500
In the Solo Cello Works thread, Elle Hogan had said that Jacqueline du
Pre...

>...also edited the Hansen Edition of JS Bach: 6 Suites...for solo cello.
>Any cellist who wants to play the Suites really should get this edition.
>Pretty immaculate editing, if I may say...

Could you, Elle, or anyone else, upack just what this means? 'Sounds like
some sort of permissible interference with the JS Bach scores.

Just what latitude is an interpreter considered to have to so alter a
composer's work? Did Casals undertake his own edits, say, and Rostropovich
too ...or is such editing optional?

What's the relation of this, if any, with leaving in or bypassing "repeats"
in keyboard (and other?) music?

I'm also puzzled, thirdly, by why a composer like Miklos Rozsa seldom if
ever did his own orchestrations for movie soundtracks, leaving that task
to others.  No doubt time constraints played some part, but I also get
the impression that it's seen as a matter of lesser importance, even sort
of inconsequential.  In any case, this too sounds like another form of
permissible latitude that the composer allows or requires of the
interpreter -- or at least that the latter will often take.

Thanks in advance.

Bert Bailey