From:
"George J. Lindner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 03:00:33 EDT
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I would like to hear from those who dislike him and/or his conducting.

In my opinion HvK was a very good technician and of course he had the
best instrument in the world to work with: the Berlin Philharmonic.  With
it, he was able to produce any sound and any effect he chose.  My personal
objection to most of his renditions is that he did not serve the composer
well but rather himself and his conception of the works he conducted, a
conception which varied over the years and often, in my opinion, not in
conformity with the composer's markings and intentions.  I doubt very much
that Wagner intended "Die Walkuere" to be performed in "chamber music"
style, as he did at the Metropolitan in New York during his curtailed Ring
appearances.

>I would also like to hear from those who like him awell as I do and hear
>their thoughts on the subject.

Until approximately 1951 and again in my opinion, his interpretations were
true to the composer's intentions as we know them and he then showed the
promise which he fulfilled in the ears of many.

>Personally, I don;t see anything wrong with his work.  I don;t think I may
>be a lesser person because I like it.

Of course not. The evaluation of music is purely subjective and everyone's
opinion, provided that it is genuine and based on reason, deserves respect.

Sincerely,

George J. Lindner