From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 07:34:18 +0100
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>One of Ives's advantages given him by his obscurity was that, in the
>absence of a commission or publication, he never actually had to complete
>a piece.

There is an Ives quote about the Emerson movement of the Concord Sonata:
I "enjoyed playing this music and seeing it grow and feeling that is was
not finished." Just as each time he read Emerson he found something new
in it.

>I have no idea specifically what that means or how much the resurrector,
>David G.  Porter, pieced together, cleaned up, or made up.

D G Porter used to post in the rec.music.classical newsgroup. I gave up
panning for gold in there years ago.

Tim Horwood