From:
Son Lieu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:07:16 -0700
Now that everyone on the list is talking about R.  Strauss, I have a
question about the Solti Rosenkavalier:

Does anyone have it?

I've been trying to replaced my much hated 1956 "stereo" recording on EMI
with Karajan and no one seems to have it.  If you know of a place where
I can get it (on CD) pray tell!  I've been also trying to amass a modest
collection of various recordings of the Four Last Songs

So far I have and love as listed below:

1. (best) Janowitz with Karajan
2. Fleming
3. Popp (with Tennstedt)
4. Bonney (piano verison)

How do you all feel about

the Studer recording?
the Auger recording?

Have the songs ever been sung by a male voice?

Alas, I am not very fond of Schwartzkopf and I can live without owning both
her versions.  I just can't get into her...  In addition, I have a Chandos
highlights CD of Rosenkavalier in English and it is a true blast!
Absolutely gorgeous.

Son