From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:08:48 +1000
Steve Schwartz:

>Craft claims that he merely follows Stravinsky's preferences.
>"Oydipus" instead of "Eddipus" -- classical rather than church
>Latin, in other words.

My professor of English pronounced it "Eedipus", a pronunciation I
also heard from other lecturers and in radio broadcasts including from
the BBC.  I don't suggest that the BBC is necessarily the last word in
Latin pronunciation, simply that it wasn't just an Australian oddity.
The first time I heard "Eddipus" was in Tom Lehrer's wonderful "Oedipus
Rex":

  There once lived a man named Oedipus Rex
  You may have heard about his odd complex
  His name appears in Freud's index
  'Cos he loved his mother...

which led me to assume that it was an American pronunciation.  I didn't
study Latin at school but nonetheless, it seems strange that there are
so many variants.

Incidentally, I was delighted a year or so ago to discover a Rhino CD
(8122-72776-2) containing 28 Lehrer songs: there must be other fans of
his on the list.  My only regret is the absence of "The Vatican Rag."

Richard Pennycuick