From:
Daryl Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:07:28 -0800
The Entartete Musik (as coined by Hitler), or "Degenerate Music," series on
Decca has proved to be a very interesting exploration that a lot of labels
seem to shy away from.

I would like to get my hands on a complete list of the series, but I cannot
find a way to get in touch with the label.  Does anyone know of a place to
find a list, and does anyone know of other titles, not on this series, that
expose Nazi (or otherwise) suppressed music?

The only title I have from the series is Victor Ullmann's "Der Kaiser von
Atlantis" (which, BTW, I find to be an enlightening and heart-wrenching
opera, especially for how short it is).  I only know of a couple more
on the series, Stefan Wolpe operettas and a Korngold piece, "Das Winder
der Heliane." In my opinion, there should be more labels bringing these
unknown, not to mention important, 20th century pieces into sight and mind,
instead of promoting another Beethoven's 9th or another disc of Chopin
Nocturnes.  If these pieces are forgotten and die, then it seems that an
important piece in the CM puzzle is lost, which really should not happen.

Thanks

Daryl Loomis